Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Give a little credit, please!

I just watched Transcendence' and I must say it takes artificial intelligence to a new level. I enjoyed very much, but as a writer, I always look for the author. Whether screenplay, or novel, someone had to write it. Well, I never saw it in the credits. Why is it that the author behind the work is usually mentioned at the very end of the work or not at all. I mean, sure, the actors often make or break a film, as can the director, but without the creation of the story, there would be no characters to interpret, no story to tell, hell, no story period.

I know veteran authors will say, welcome to the world of writing. Yep, guess so and it explains much about the publishing world as well as Hollywood. No respect for the writer. Little pay, hey, we've got it now, you just go play around on your computer.

For your information, Transcendence was written by Jack Paglen. I admit I know none of the circumstances involved in the creation of this film. If he truly wrote it, I should think some credit would be due. Perhaps not. Maybe he was just the dialogist. Sorry, I invented that word. So, as I'm talking out of the wrong orifice now, for the correct one knows better, I'll shut the hell up. Wanted to vent. Thanks.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Watched the film again and saw Jack Paglen credited for writing it. Also some more research informed me he is quite the Hollywood writer. Still think the writer should get more billing. To Mr. Paglen I say, awesome concepts and story. I certainly hope you make it into a novel if this already has not been done.