Thursday, February 19, 2015

Loyalty cards? You think so?

I was in my local grocery store the other day. Ahead of me in line were two young ladies buying a couple of items. The checkout clerk asked in a matter-of-fact voice, "Do you have your 'Thank you' card?"
Both answered no and were informed they would not benefit from the lower price available to those who had such cards.

Now, keep in mind, the price with the card is comparable to prices in other stores who do not provide this service, so the price without the card is inflated, unfairly in my judgement.

Although I possess such a card the practice infuriated me from the beginning. I just went along as most of us do. More about that later. In part it is my raising that makes this so distasteful. Someone I respect once told me. If you are going to sell a thing, sell it for the same price for everyone. It is morally wrong and unethical to assess your prospective customer, determine that they are susceptible to being fleeced and then charge them a higher price. Whether it is because they may not possess the knowledge to know better, or some other variable matters not. Fair is fair, honesty is honesty. There is no middle ground.

Additionally I might add, the specials that are run are compared to the non-card inflated price which makes it harder for the customer to see exactly what the savings are.

So, what's the harm you ask. Get the card or shop somewhere else. Yes, a boycott would seem the appropriate response for someone such as me who is irked by the policy. Only problem is, that ignores another facet of this program. They, and by that I include a multitude of entities are gathering information...about us.

What you buy, when and where, is being recorded and the information sold to whoever wants to buy it. Okay, you say, everybody's doing that, even Facebook and the internet in general. I would say. Yep, and there are some blogs out there that discuss this and after reading them I am considering leaving these social networks. It's just that I'm so addicted. Oh well, another story for another time. Back to your basic loyalty, or thank you cards.

So, what's the harm? Doesn't this aid product ordering and distribution? Well, some of you may have received a query from your health insurance provider asking about your tobacco use. A higher premium is involved of course. So what? Tobacco users should stop. The disease processes resulting from its use causes higher premiums for everyone. I'd agree with you, except, I wonder if you would be so quick to jump if we were talking about your sugar consumption, or fat content of your purchases. The over-the-counter medications you buy. Most stores are selling beer and wine now. What about that? Think about it. Everything you buy is data which is for sale to anyone wanting it and for whatever purpose they see fit.

I read recently there is legislation in some state (I don't have that info for you, but I bet a google will get it) which will fine parents if their children are obese. Wow!

Alrighty then. So we know the insurance companies would never purchase this information and certainly wouldn't use it to raise your premiums or deny benefits. Yeah, right.

However you decide to take my little rant here, I hope it least gives you pause to think about things. Wonder what these so called deals are really getting you and don't be surprised if in a few months, or years you find that now to buy or sale you need a laser burned bar code on your hand.

I can hear John Q Public saying now. "Far out dude, can I chose the color?"





2 comments:

Pamela Briggs said...

I agree with you, Andy. We have 3 stores here in the huge city of Jacksonville - Publix, Winn Dixie and WalMart. Winn Dixie has their card and Publix does not. Both stores are so overpriced it isn't even funny. If you go to WalMart and no loyalty card you pay anywhere from $1 to $3 less for everything you would buy at the other two stores. I don't know how they stay in business! There are sure a lot more people around with a lot more money than we have to spend!! But the concept isn't right but then there isn't a whole lot out there that is right!!

Anonymous said...

I originally signed on to my supermarket's loyalty program because a portion of my "savings" would go to my son's 529 college fund. In the 5 years I participated I "earned" $2.02. In exchange, as you pointed out, the store "earned" some very . . . intimate . . . information about me.

I'm glad you wrote this post and I hope it serves as a wake-up call to everyone who reads it. I'm not against retail loyalty programs, or even social media, but I do think it's important that folks realize just how much info is out there--and how much of that info we're surrendering voluntarily.