Sunday, February 1, 2015

NO GOOD DEED (goes unpunished?)

This sixteen page short story evoked a bit of a conundrum for me. One reader considered its author...uh...me, to be a psycho, while another considered the piece "just plain sick". 

So, honesty's in play here. Should an author censor himself, or allow a work to 'become', as it develops, without curving or shading effects to the sensibilities of potential readers.

Part of the problem? I write romance, without morbid creatures, or grotesque descriptors and in truth, I'm not sure I would want any of those readers to fall prey to my dark side. Therefore, I've added the word Horror to the subtitle. Fair warning I hope. In truth, I've seen worse psychosis and sickness on the news, particularly if you read or view politics. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. This story will be out soon and I hope those of you who dare to walk on the wild side will give it a read.


Thomas awakened from a horrible nightmare.
The people in it were covered with a translucent, grotesque images,
with beast-like features.
He shakes off the dream and begins his day, but
is horrified when he steps onto the bus and sees
over half of the passengers are encased by
the same frightening monsters.
Beautiful Carla is on the bus as usual.
The apparitions are not new to her and she
fears Thomas's reaction places him in grave danger.
Ignoring her own peril, she ushers him off the bus and together
they flee through the back streets and alleyways of the city.
The creatures are everywhere.
And all of them have the scent.
They circle like a pack,
closing in,
each wanting their portion.

Thomas wants his world back.

Carla knows that world never existed.

No comments: