Sunday, October 12, 2014

An excerpt from "CLICKING THINGS"!

An excerpt from my new "creepy" short story available this week on Amazon.








 A rustle stirred underneath the hammock. I steadied my precariously balanced bed and peered down. Beneath me all was black, dark, but in that light-less void a deeper shadow resided.
Get a grip, now you're seeing boogeymen under your bed.
My fire, which earlier had cast flickering illumination on the surrounding trees was now just pitiful glowing embers, yet gave some miniscule relief from the gloom. I fixated on it, willing the glow to dispel the oppression closing in on me.
Click, Click, Click.
I sat up with such abruptness I nearly capsized my hammock.
Click, Click, Click.
Closer now, advancing.
What if I sprang from my perch and dived into the creek? Perhaps they don't like water.
Click, Click.
Two cadences, underneath me.
Click.
A countdown?
My hammock spun, turning so I faced the ground. I saw them, deep yellow eyes, following my fall.








2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheril said...

Pretty creepy! Good short story, worth the read....especially if you wonder about things that go bump in the night....