Sunday, March 15, 2015

First sentence blues? Forget about it.

How about that scene in many films or TV series, where the writer is surrounded by crumpled up pieces of paper and simply not able to start? Of course, in the time of the typewriter, if you didn't like the way you began, pressing back space was not an option. In fact, most writers I've talked with cite finishing or droughts as the major problem, not beginning. For that I have no answer, except comments I heard from a recent lecture saying, among other things, trying to make it perfect, or having the complete plot worked out, as main contributors to a mass of never finished books. The answer agreed on by most. Stop thinking, start writing.

I do, however, have a couple of smidgets for those who just can't get the first sentence written.

First, and this is not my idea. I can't remember who wrote it and have no inclination to research it. I think the initials were S. K. and that very well could be a product of my ever increasing decreasing memory. What was said is this. "Don't fall in love with your first line." If you accept that as a rule, then it doesn't matter if you like it, the reader likes it, or your mama hates it. Odds are it will be changed anyway, so get on with (as Paul Harvey used to say) "...the rest of the story."


Second, and this is My idea, I think, though I'm sure others may claim it as well. Consider this. All of us, the human race that is, do things. We have activities, go places, go to the bathroom, shave, dress, drive, drink, eat, pass gas, laugh, cry, shout, whisper. Pick one...yes...you heard me. Just pick one and start your story. 'Jan stepped out of her car and slammed the door.' See, and I even infer an emotion... or, her car door was just hard to shut. If you want to get cute or add a little information.
'Twenty-two year old, Jan Whoever stepped out of her car and slammed the door. Her scarlet dress caught and as she stormed from the vehicle, she was stripped to her pink slip.'

Okay, I'm not in love with this (except maybe the dress and slip part) but I have a start and who knows, I may think of something else along the way. Main thing, I started.

The alternative? Wait for that perfect opening line, like "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Or, "Call me Ishmael." Better yet, "It was a dark and stormy night..." I actually used this, but added "...it really was!"

If the above fails, just do this. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, then start, and by the way, sometimes if you get stuck, or forget a name (I always mean to keep a name journal, but rarely do) the xs are a way to keep going and should be easy to spot during an edit. I mean, I don't know about y'all, but when I get rolling, I hate to be interrupted.

One more. 'I needed to think and there were other things needing my immediate attention. My answer... the porcelain throne. I posed on it, much like the famous statue and mulled over my problems, searched for the elusive answers. With furrowed brow, I concentrated and to my great joy, a multitude of solutions worked their way into and out of my situation. I could feel a smile creep across my countenance as I contemplated the future paperwork. In such fashion as this, I realized everything would come out okay.'

In other words. HAVE FUN WITH IT. Isn't the backspace key wonderful?







No comments: