Thursday, May 22, 2014

Howdy! These are my two e- books on amazon. I'm writing Ghost Reaper II, Lucifer's Children now. I have a blog on this site describing the series which will include the above mentioned and two more. Ghost Reaper III, Rise of the Elect, and Ghost Reaper IV, The Two Witnesses. I felt the need for something, another writing project to switch to when the muse for one is on vacation. Any of you writers out there ever have that happen? I started...are you ready for this...a romance novel. eeeww, you say. Hey...I have romances in both of my published novels. In fact SCIZO has two of them. Of course any of you who have read my work know I march to the beat of a different drummer, so you can rest assured it will be...maybe a half-a-bubble off level. It is paranormal and I'll give you a sample here. Hey...I'll be only mushy enough to call it a romance novel.

 For now I'm titling it 'Mirror'. And all that stuff about fiction and coincidence and copyright by me A.H. Sweet a.k.a. Drew Adams applies.

 June 1970
The first time it happened, Audrey Whorley had just turned eight years old. A cake, centered on a redwood picnic table, had her name on it along with eight candles. Her friends surrounded her, all with puffed faces, aiming their breaths toward the glowing flames.
Audrey wasn't there. Her body stood motionless staring off past the candles, past her home, past her young life.
She was in a room. A room like Me-maw was in before the angels took her. Me-maw wasn't in the bed. A man was, with tubes in his nose and something in his mouth, arms bandaged, one held up in the air by strings, like a puppet. Audrey looked hard at the man, but didn't know his face, yet she felt like crying.
“Audrey...baby.” The voice was next to her. Her mom was staring at her through reddened eyes. Tears ran down her face. Audrey was eye level with the woman and her mother's hair was dull with lots of gray in it. What happened to your hair, Mama. The words were in her mind, but never left her lips. Instead she heard a strange, but familiar voice.
“Oh mama, I can't stand it. I can't live without him.” The voice was her own, she knew it, but it sounded wrong—older. The woman, her mother, hugged her tight and whispered in her ear.
“Honey...I know. I wished I could make it go away, make it better, but I can't. You've got to let him go.”
Mama always makes it better. Now she felt and heard sobs break lose from her body. Not mine! Not mine! But the sobs continued, racking her body, nose running and she felt a torrent of tears wash down her face. A woman, with a stethoscope around her neck walked past them. She wasn't wearing a white smock like with Me-maw. Her uniform was turquoise, like mama's ring.
“We've given him morphine. Once we take him off the ventilator, his breathing will slow. It could happen fast, or it might take a little bit.” Audrey knew this woman was a nurse. Why she was just as tall confused her, and why did she feel so sad?
She could feel herself nod and blot her eyes with a tissue. With her mother steadying her she approached the bed and took the man's free hand. It was warm, limp. Across the bed stood an older boy and a girl. Audrey guessed she might be twelve. The girl looked a lot like her older cousin Shannon. They were crying too. The girl looked at her and spoke. “Mommy”, she managed.
Audrey heard the voice like hers answer. “It's okay sweetie. It'll be okay.” The last word came out like a croak.
The nurse took loose the straps holding the thing attached to the man's face and pulled. A tube was attached and to Audrey's horror had been down the man's throat. She watched as the woman went to a machine and flipped a switch. The man took a deep breath, opened his eyes and looked right at her. His gray eyes, looked afraid, surprised.

Her vision blurred, but she could feel hands holding her up and moving her. She could hear crying . The loudest, was the voice that was like hers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want more!! It's gonna drive me crazy till I find out what happens next!! Anxiously waiting for the rest of this!!!!

Unknown said...

Sorry about that. I think they call it a teaser.