Tuesday, December 16, 2014

What makes a professional?

I read a post about what makes a writer a professional writer. Although some attribute lofty requirements, the gist of most, was getting paid. I thought about this a bit. I am paid for my novels and short stories, by the reader, via amazon. Not a lot, though the royalty percentages are good, you still have to sell. Also, there is some expense, so to be a 'professional', must you see a profit? And, is any profit, no matter how marginal, the litmus test of being a professional?

I'm an RN. A member of a profession. There are serious requirements. You must know medications, be aware of the side affects and correct dosing(just because a doctor prescribed it does not relieve you of the responsibility, should it be incorrect). Additionally, you must continually assess your patients, note changes and keep the doctors informed. There is a
long list of things you must know and do, like most professions.

Sometimes, you have to clean butts. I'm paid for this so I suppose you could call me a 'professional butt cleaner'.

I thought I was until I helped an aide with this chore. This person has no degree, just a certificate, but is paid, though if you've ever observed what they do, it's not nearly enough.

I watched this person perform the task quickly, thoroughly and in my eyes, like a master artist. This butt was cleaned gently, powdered, bedding changed and all the while, kept the patient comfortable, warm and at ease.

I felt ashamed and from that point on, made it my goal to be the best 'butt cleaner' I could be. I remain clumsy in this endeavor and will probably never achieve the level of the aide. Still, I aspire.

So, what makes a writer, a 'professional writer'? I really haven't a clue, but I think there must be a level of care and aspiration. As in any profession, a level of knowledge and skill must be applied. And, getting paid isn't bad either.

I may never reach the level of  'butt cleaning' as the professional I witnessed. I may never attain the level of writing as the successful authors I've read. I have errors and bad habits, so ingrained, they most certainly will seep into my work. Yet, I aspire to be better, and I care, for the story, the characters, and the readers.

I guess this makes me just 'a writer'.




No comments: