Friday, June 13, 2014

"WHAT ARE Y'ALL DOIN' DOWN THERE?"


Good Morning, Friday the 13th. I am surprised that the Jason people did not have another sequel primed and ready for this one, being it is also a full moon and not suppose to happen again for some time. I guess it was decided they'd bled it enough. Damn! I crack myself out. (family joke) Okay...nursing. I do that now and it has its moments. We seem to be superstitious. Just mentioning that it seems to be a quiet night can bring on all kinds of derision. There was this one time. Don't remember if it was Friday the 13th, but it should have been.

A rapid response had been called. (this is different than 'rabid response' which is when staff just go crazy for no particular reason) An elderly man had been found unresponsive. He was not reacting to any stimulus. Pain (sternal rub), light, voice...nothing. Crash cart was brought in, a dozen staff members including a doctor. I was attempting to obtain a manual blood pressure, without any luck. Not a favorable sign, as I am good at it.

No pulses could be felt, and chest compressions were under way, the ambu bag was being squeezed. Some one was trying to obtain a doppler pulse. (a sound amplification device which involves a probe and smear of lubricant and always cold. The nurse was trying to for a femoral pulse. Right in the crotch.

The man came alive, sit up like a jack-in-the-box and yelled. "What the hell y'all doin' down there!

I looked around at my colleagues, as there was a moment of stunned silence, then back to the patient. He was staring at us all like we were crazy. A short round of unison laughter ensued, a collective sigh of relief if you will.

For my money, the guy was dead, and maybe he was, or perhaps it was just another freaky Friday!



No comments: