Thursday, June 5, 2014

NOTHING TO IT, THE WAY WE DO IT!



You know, people handle things different. Once, while racking up the inmates (sending them to their rooms/cells) I heard a ruckus over on another wing. When I got there, the boss (word for correctional officer) was surrounded by several angry residents.

Now...you have to use common sense in any job. The cord, or maybe the antenna wire was stolen regularly, which meant nobody got to watch TV. The inmates had a plan though. One trustworthy  thief (no, that is not an oxymoron) would take the cable to his house (cell) for safe keeping.

This, of course would be technically breaking the rules and the guard (maybe we could just take the ox off of moron here) was having none of it and the offenders (politically correct designation for convicts, thieves, inmates, someday we will call them clients) were trying to explain it to him. It was starting to get ugly.

I have a knack for letting the air out of situations like this and you got to back your partner's play. I ordered them to their respective home away from homes, promising that we'd take care of the cord.

Now, like I said...I had a knack...but it took me by surprise when their eyes got big and they started backing away.

Don't you know my head swelled up and my chest stuck out. I was feeling pretty good about myself.

Until I looked behind me.

A friend and coworker, inside the control picket, was holding a gas grenade launcher, tapping it lovingly, with the most wicked smile I'd ever seen.

Everybody quit worrying about the TV cord.


Another prison anecdote you might enjoy.  http://drewadamsauthor.blogspot.com/2014/06/i-worked-in-prison-system-for-twelve.html







No comments: