Monday, June 9, 2014

WHAT ABOUT ME?

What about me? Who am I, what do I do, and why do I do it? I had promised myself recently that I would not blog about writing. First of all, most of you, I think, could care less about using too many adverbs, power passages, or should I plan my plots, or plot my plans.
So, I thought I'd just write about whatever suits me, melts my butter, or tickles my fancy. No rules, no subject taboos.


What I am attempting to do here, is establish a platform or brand, for me, as a writer. So first I'll talk about honesty, a concept I wish to become a corner stone of the foundation I'm building.

Now, I write fiction. Having said that, one must realize that what I write is technically, a lie. I make the shit up. Also, as you just noted, I use profanity.Hope it's not offensive , but I consider it, used properly, an art form. It's in my work, in my life, and I pray I don't over use it, or abuse it, but I won't apologize for it.
"A rose by any other name..." William Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what I mean by honest. Would I lie to save my butt...probably. Would I lie to save my butt if it hurt others. No. Will I increase the size of the fish I caught. Oh yeah!

In my writing, the honesty will be, that, I thought of it and I wrote it. We are all influenced by media, that being books, television, internet...the list goes on. I am no different and I'll use anything that I read or hear, but it'll come out of the mire that is my mind, my words and perspective. Somewhere, I read there are only a handful of original stories. All else is a redo, or perspective. When you strip the story to basics? John met Mary, they married, had children, divorced, live happily ever after, got chased by pirates, trapped in a car by an enormous rabid dog. (You gotta give King credit on that last one...pretty sure it's totally original). But the idea may not be. Surely there have been stories of humans trapped by savage animals. See what I mean. By now most stories are takes on ideas, or happenings that have already been told or written.

As for the blogs...a clue...if I is who's talking, then it really happened. Do I use literary license...(that means add lies to it.)...maybe, but only to fill gaps in my memory (which are many) and maybe to add a little drama (so you won't fall asleep while reading it. Oh my, I think I hear snoring).

So, here's some truth. My name is not Drew Adams. It is Andy Howard Sweet. Drew is my evil twin...just kidding...he is a pen name. Why? Looking back I'm not really sure...seemed like a good idea at the time. And I like my real name. Yeah, it got me into a few hassles when I was younger...but then I found the girls liked it...hey...I'm only human. Besides, my dear departed mother fought for it. Here's the story. True, as it was told to me as I was a newborn and do not remember it.

The nurse told Mom she could not name me Andy...it had to be Andrew. My mother answered that she would name me "Shit" if she wanted to. "Shit Sweet" has a nice ring to it, but I'm glad she didn't have to prove her point. I do have a short story started in my archives titled "Schitt Storm". Really.

So, for better or worse, I chose Drew Adams as a pen name. People have called me Drew, or Andrew, all my life and Adams was my mother's maiden name. See, it's not totally fake. Anyway "... you can call me what you want, long as you call me for supper." Author unknown.

I'll blog on "What About Me" from time to time. I'll use that title so you can avoid such ranting. lol










1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like something Nita would say!! I love your blogs and find them interesting and they even bring me a smile!! Thank you, Andy!!